Location and DirectionsKalamazoo College is located in a quiet residential section of Kalamazoo , a city with a metropolitan population of more than 225,000 in scenic southwest Michigan. The city's downtown district is within easy walking distance from the campus, and other shopping malls, as well as movies and restaurants, are a short bike or bus ride away. Western Michigan University is only a few blocks from the campus. The College maintains a close and active involvement with the Kalamazoo community, which supports, among other cultural activities, a symphony, Gilmore Keyboard Festival, a chamber music society, an annual Bach Music Festival, an art institute, professional baseball and hockey teams, a nature center, and several theatres.
The cultural offerings of the College, the city, and other colleges in the area, together with the natural beauty of southwest Michigan's lakes and rolling hills, give Kalamazoo residents and students alike an enviable quality of life.
Kalamazoo is just 35 miles from Lake Michigan and approximately 140 miles from both Detroit and Chicago on Interstate 94. Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport is served by several major airlines and Amtrak service is available several times a day.
From the north (Grand Rapids) or south (Indianapolis)
- Take US 131 to Kalamazoo.
- Take Exit number 38a, West Main Street (M-43) East.
- Proceed east toward Kalamazoo for 3.5 miles.
- As you descend the hill on West Main Street, there will be a cemetery on your left.
- Turn right onto Thompson Street at the Dow Science Center.
- Take Interstate 94 to Kalamazoo/Portage.
- Exit 75, Oakland Drive.
- Take Oakland drive north (turn right if coming from the east, left if from the west).
- Proceed north toward Kalamazoo through nine traffic lights (about 3 miles).
- Oakland Drive merges with Stadium Drive at the ninth light. Stay to the left as you proceed onto Stadium Drive.
- Make a sharp left-hand turn onto Academy Street at the end of the median.
Lodging and dining nearby ►